E-Safety Information for Parents & Carers
As a parent or carer you play a key role in helping your child to stay safe online.
You don’t need to be an expert on the internet to help keep your child safe online.
Below are a range of links and ideas to guide you as you support your child to use the internet safely, responsibly and positively.
What is E-Safety?
It’s about focusing on the positive and enriching side of digital life, whilst recognising its challenges and how to best approach them. By practicing Online Safety, we can prevent and mitigate the risks that are inherently involved with using digital technologies, platforms and services.
Once the risks are managed, the internet can be enjoyed free from harm and to enormous benefit.
Have a conversation
It is really important to chat with your children on an ongoing basis about staying safe online.
Not sure where to begin? These conversation starter suggestions can help.
- Ask your children to tell you about the sites they like to visit and what they enjoy doing online.
- Ask them about how they stay safe online. What tips do they have for you, and where did they learn them? What is OK and not OK to share?
- Ask them if they know where to go for help, where to find the safety advice, privacy settings and how to report or block on the services they use.
- Encourage them to help someone! Perhaps they can show you how to do something better online or they might have a friend who would benefit from their help and support.
- Think about how you each use the internet. What more could you do to use the internet together? Are there activities that you could enjoy as a family?