0049 6371 42717

Educational and Additional Needs

Educational and Additional Needs at St David’s

Sometimes called a SEND offer or SAEN this section outlines how we will work with you should your child have an additional need.  If you are a fee paying parent the arrangements may be different, please discuss your specific situation with our SAENCo.

Our School Inclusion Leader / SAENCo is Mrs Rowena Redgwell, she can be contacted by emailing the school office.

St David’s School is an MOD school which is part of Defence Children’s Services (DCS) within the Ministry of Defence. Information about the overarching SEND provision across MOD schools can be found here:


Before My Child Starts

What should I do before my child starts at St David’s School?

Firstly please make contact with the school either by email or phone or come and visit if you are in the locality. The Inclusion Manager will talk to you about your child’s needs and how best they can be met. We recommend that you make contact with Service Children Educational Advisory Service (CEAS)


CEAS Leaflet

Gather together all the information you have about your child eg IEPs, school reports, Speech and Language reports, medical information (if relevant).

We know that children’s needs vary from one child to another. Most needs can be dealt with by the school, and parents will always be fully involved. We believe that it is much better, where possible, to help any child with difficulties within the context of the classroom. Educational and specialist support services are located a considerable distance away and it may not always be possible to meet the needs of those with complex special educational needs here at St David’s.

SEND Inquiry (now known as MASO- MOD Assessment of Supportability Overseas)

Pupils with disabilities will only be admitted, if it is deemed by MOD Schools & the school that their needs can be fully met and we have granted a Certificate of Educational Clearance. Existing access arrangements and any adaptations required will be part of an assessment, known as MASO, which is carried out by the school, supported by MOD School multi agency team. The MASO is to clarify if your child’s needs can be met by the school. If the school deems a MASO enquiry is necessary YOU SHOULD NOT PROCEED WITH YOUR POSTING UNTIL THERE IS AN OUTCOME.

MASO Leaflet


Currently all parts of the school can be readily accessed by those with mobility issues (e.g. wheelchairs), other than directly in/out of the building to the playground. This can currently be overcome by taking a less direct/slightly longer route in and out of the playground via the path around the front of the building, using additional adult support.

Accessibility Plan 2019-2021

Accessibility Strategy

SAEN Offer

At St David’s School we aim to provide an inclusive education in which all children and young people flourish and achieve.

Quality first teaching is an essential element in this, along with the recognition that some children will require additional or adapted provision to minimise barriers to learning and maximise progress.

We work in partnership with parents, pupils and outside professionals.

OFSTED (2016) stated: ‘Staff are particularly successful at identifying gaps in pupils’ knowledge and designing activities to enable them to catch up quickly.’

We endeavour to meet all our children’s needs. However due to our location we do not have access to regular support from specialist agencies. Therefore it is very important to consider carefully your child’s needs before considering a move to Ramstein.

The school’s Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Policy can be found below.

The progress of all children is the responsibility of the class teacher; with the support of the SAENCo and Senior Leadership Team.

SEND leaflet

SEND Procedures

Accessing Child and Adolescent Mental Healthcare

SAEN Policy


Who Should I Talk To?

Who should I talk to at St David’s School about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special and Additional Educational Needs (SAEN)?

1. Class teacher

St David’s School operates an ‘open-door’ policy- if you have any concerns about your child’s learning, we recommend that you discuss them with the class teacher in the first instance. Either speak to your child’s teacher at the end of the school day or contact the office to make an appointment.

The class teacher is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the AHT Inclusion know as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SAEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SAEN.


If your child has identified learning needs or requires additional support then the best person to talk to is the Assistant Headteacher who is the designated SAENCo (Special Needs Coordinator) at our school. They are responsible for:

  • coordinating and reviewing support across the school to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
  • involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc…
  • Updating the school’s SAEN register (a system for ensuring all the SAEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SAEN in the school achieve the best progress possible.

3. Headteacher

The Headteacher is responsible for:

  • The management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SAEN.
  • They will give responsibility for the day to day management of SAEN to the SAENCo and class teachers but has overall responsibility for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
Notifications of Concern

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making expected progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have too
  • plan any additional support your child may receive
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • work with you to identify next steps and possibly draw up an Individual Learning Plan
Types of Provision and Support

1. What types of provision and support is available for children at St David’s School?

Universal: Quality first teaching

Children’s learning needs can be met in the classroom through carefully planned lessons and activities where teaching and learning is clearly differentiated and supported.

For your child this means:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SAENCo or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher carefully checks on your child’s progress and from this evidence identify that your child has gap in their understanding/learning which requires some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • All children in school access Quality First Teaching as part of excellent classroom practice.

2. Targeted (intervention either individually or in groups)

Children learning needs are met through regular targeted activities. These can be:

  • run in the classroom or outside it.
  • run by a teacher or, most often, a Learning Support Assistant who is supported by the Inclusion Manager.
  • For your child this would mean:
  • they will engage in regular group sessions with specific targets to help them make more progress.
  • a Learning Support Assistant will run these small group sessions which are planned by the class teacher/Inclusion Manager.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning. Evidence from regular assessments helps us to quickly identify and support children who are not making expected progress. This type of support is usually short term planned over a few weeks and progress is carefully monitored.

3. Specialist support for your child.

Often this support is planned by outside agencies but delivered in school by the Inclusion Manager or Learning Support Assistant eg Speech and Language Therapy and takes place over a longer period of time..

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/Inclusion Manager (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school and at home.
  • The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  • Support the setting of focused targets which will include their specific expertise.
  • Group or individual work, run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group.
  • This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

4. Support for improving emotional and social development. 

We provide support for pupils to improve their emotional and social development in the following ways:

  •  We are an inclusive school that holds a child’s development as a rounded individual as a priority. Our school values and learning behaviours promote the welfare of all and underpin everything we say and do. 
  • The class teacher promotes the pastoral, social, emotional and medical welfare of every child through careful planning and support. 
  • The school has a trained ELSA (Emotional and Social Support Assistant) who plan and deliver a targeted programme of activities designed to meet needs.
  • Pupils can access (through parental referral) the CAMHS service – with therapy and support usually delivered through Skype.
  • Support for both parents and pupils can also be provided by the Health Visitor and the MOD Schools social worker.
  • To promote positive behaviours in the playground, each class has nominated playground buddies.

ELSA Leaflet

Outside Agencies My Child Can Access

Outside Agencies can my child access?

We work closely with MOD Schools specialist support services including EP, Health Visitor and Educational Social Worker. Specialists are not based locally; they can provide advice and support to the school and parents through 1:1 meetings via the internet (eg Zoom). Referrals can only be completed with parental permission.

You should contact the SAENCo at school in the first instance if you have any concerns and feel specialist support services involvement would be beneficial, then a referral will be completed. Due to our location it is possible to organise a phone/video link.

Specialist support services currently include:

Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) – referral via SHAPE medical team.

MOD Schools Social Worker: Ms Kim Harrison.

Educational Psychologist: Mr Simon Worker.

Health Visitor: British Medical Centre SHAPE (tel 0032 65445824).

Paediatrician – referral via SHAPE medical team.

CAMHS (Child and Mental Health Services).

MOD Schools Nurse Advisor.

Find out how DCYP help children fulfil their potential.


How Will St David's Keep Me Informed?

How will St David’s keep me informed?

Parent Consultations are planned every term; this is an opportunity for all parents to meet class teachers, and parents of children receiving additional support also meet with the SAENCo to review progress and identify next steps through additional support and strategies.

Small group support and the strategies used are detailed on a Provision Map which sets out staffing, timings and timescales for intervention. Support is organised under 4 categories:

  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Sensory and Physical
  • Communication and Interaction

Support for additional needs is recorded in an Individual Learning Plan (ILP). This plan is a working document. It is in place for up to one term and is then reviewed and developed (if appropriate) with a revised plan. Individual Learning Plans are clearly linked to progress and focus on small step targets (SMART targets) with measurable outcomes. You will be asked to contribute to the development of your child’s  ILP and to sign it showing you understand and support the school’s provision for your child.

Individual Learning Plans and Provision Maps are important documents on transfer to another school as they inform the new setting about your child’s needs and provision.

Parents in our parental satisfaction survey  (July 2018) stated about the strengths of the school:

‘My children love going to the school and that’s how it should be. We are thrilled to hear them talk about what they are learning and doing. Thank you!’

‘Individualised and personalised learning which is made possible through small class sizes and dedicated teachers and LSAs who really know the children.’

Measuring Your Child's Progress

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by their class teacher through ongoing observations and assessments. Progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing and mathematics.  Following this termly assessment week each child’s targets are reviewed and new ones set which identify next steps in learning. The individual targets for children with additional needs are closely linked to their Individual Learning Plan.  If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called Pre Key Stage Levels. The progress of children in the Foundation Stage is recorded on an individual profile linked to the Early Years’ Curriculum (EYFS).

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.

The SAENCo reviews the provision of intervention and support every term and the progress each child makes. This evidence is then used to plan future provision.

Staff Support and Training

How is the staff at St David’s supported to work with children with a SAEN and what training do they have?

The SAENCo supports class teachers and learning support assistants in planning for children with SAEN.

The school has a training plan for all staff aimed at improving the teaching and learning of children including those with SAEN. This involves whole school training on SAEN issues such as behaviour management and Speech and Language needs.

Outside Agencies lead training and /or work with staff.

Adapted Teaching For My Child

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. This adaptation is called differentiation.

Support staff follow the teacher’s planning to support the needs of your child where necessary using specific resources and strategies identified in the planning.

When My Child Leaves St David's

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SAEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

We are happy to contact the school SAENCo and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support needed for your child.

We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

On The Move Leaflet

Moving Schools Guide

When moving classes in school:

Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Individual Learning Plans will be shared with the new teacher.

Your child will also spend some time in their new class; additional support/visits can be planned as required to make transition as smooth and reassuring as possible.

During Year 6:

We recommend that:

You register your child with CEAS (see below).

You and your child visit your child’s new secondary school early in year 6.


We strongly recommend that you register your child with CEAS and utilise their services.

Children’s Education Advisory Service

The Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) provides expert and impartial advice about the education of service children.

It can provide invaluable support with looking at schools and about admission, and is able to liaise with schools and local authorities. Please go to


The Army & Navy magazine recently produced an article detailing the support available for service families with special educational needs and disabilities when returning to the UK.  The full article can be found here.


2014 SEND Code of Practice

2014 SEND Code of Practice

The SEND Code of Practice, incorporated in the Children’s and Family Bill, is now in operation. This Act does not change the definition of SEND

In the UK the school funding arrangements changed in April 2013. However support for your child with SEND should not change because of the funding changes.

School and local authority responsibilities for SEND have not changed

The current categories of SEND- School Action and School Action Plus will not be used- they will be identified as School Support

Statements of Educational Need will not be issued, but instead will be replaced by Education, Health and Care Plans (EHiC) for children with complex multiple needs. At St. David’s School children identified on ‘School Support’ will have a School Support Plan and Provision Map which highlights, monitors and tracks additional support and intervention.

MOD Schools receive additional funding for SAEN in their core budget and this is allocated by each school according to a range of resourcing needs.

On a day to day basis however, there will be no change in the range and quality of provision for all children, including those with SAEN.

For more information go to:


Complaints about SEND provision.

Complaints to SEND provision at St David’s School should be made to the SAENCo or the Headteacher in the first instance. They will then be referred to the school’s Complaints Policy.